The Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) is continuing its safety measures on all of its public transportation services.
The safety of our customers and operating personnel is of the highest importance. CTDOT’s safety measures are continually updated based on the recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other state and federal health agencies and experts. These actions, which began in March, are being conducted for all CTrail Hartford Line, CTrail Shore Line East, and New Haven Line (Metro-North) commuter rail services, as well as for all CTtransit and local transit district bus services throughout the state.
Safety measures include:
- Nightly sanitizing of all trains and buses including an interior wipe down of high contact surfaces using enhanced cleaning and disinfection protocols recommended by the CDC.
- Increased cleaning of stations using CDC-recommended cleaning products and methods.
- Disinfecting high contact areas such as door handles, escalator handrails, and elevator buttons multiple times each day at our busiest train stations.
- Requiring masks and temperature checks at the start of each shift for front line CTDOT and CTrail employees.
- Providing employees with enhanced health and safety training and personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Providing masks to on-board train crew, to provide to passengers if needed.
- Hand sanitizer dispensers at all stations.
- Placing personal protective equipment (PPE) in vending machines at major stations available for public purchase.
- Conducting daily health and safety meetings with rail personnel and internal stakeholders to review current procedures and adjust as needed.
- Contactless ticket purchasing options.
- Installation of floor markings at major stations to assist with social distancing.
In addition to the safety measures above, riders are reminded of the COVID-19 travel advisories below:
- Customers should wear a mask or face covering on all trains, stations, and platforms, unless you have a medical condition that prevents you from doing so. Children under two do not require a mask. Please be aware that Amtrak requires the use of face masks.
- Practice social distancing while waiting at rail stations and riding trains. The CDC recommends a distance of at least six feet from others.
- Purchase tickets prior to boarding using a ticket vending machine or the CTrail eTix app for CTrail Hartford Line, CTrail Shore Line East, and connecting New Haven Line (Metro-North) trains.
- Customers who feel sick should not use public transportation.
For the latest information, resources, and guidance related to COVID-19, visit ct.gov/coronavirus.