TICKETS AND FARES
Ticket Types to Best Suit Your Travel Needs
CTrail Shore Line East offers a variety of ticket types and fares to make your commute easier.
1 Select start and end stops:
|New Haven State Street|
|New Haven Union Station|
|West Haven *|
|South Norwalk *|
|Harlem-125th St *|
|Grand Central *|
* Metro North Stations
2 Your fare will be:
Type of Ticket
‡ Please note that reduced fares are not accepted on board weekday morning Peak trains. Please refer to the current schedule for Peak versus Off-Peak travel times.
- CTrail eTix app for Apple iOS and Android devices
- Ticket Vending Machines (TVM) available at New Haven State Street and New Haven Union Station accept Apple Pay, Google Pay, credit/debit cards, or cash.
- Onboard all CTrail Shore Line East trains with cash only (Using exact change or small bills no larger than $20)
- Full-service ticket windows are located at the following station locations: New London (credit/debit card only), Old Saybrook, and New Haven’s Union Station.
UniRail Monthly – combines New Haven Line operated by Metro-North with CTrail Shore Line East rail service for a lower combined fare than separate tickets. UniRail Monthly Tickets are available at New Haven’s Union Station, with the CTrail eTix app, ticket vending machines, aboard a New Haven Line train using a credit card and any New Haven Line station with a ticket window, as well as by mail at: www.MTA.info. UniRail Tickets cannot be purchased on board CTrail Shore Line East trains or at stations serviced only by CTrail Shore Line East.
- Amtrak will honor CTrail Shore Line East monthly and ten-ride tickets on select Amtrak Regional trains listed on our schedule between New Haven and New London.
- CTrail Shore Line East monthly and 10-ride customers wishing to use their tickets on approved Amtrak trains must make confirmations through Amtrak’s RideReserve Program prior to boarding a train.
- Amtrak’s RideReserve program requires CTrail Shore Line East customers with Monthly or Ten-Ride tickets to pre-select their intended trip(s) on cross-honored Amtrak trains to ensure ample seating space onboard.
- RideReserve confirmations can be canceled and rebooked, but they cannot be modified.
- Customers who are riding an Amtrak cross-honor train and require special accommodations must call Amtrak customer service at 1-800-USA-RAIL for further assistance.
- A Metro-North UniRail pass will require RideReserve confirmations on Amtrak trains only when a CTrail Shore Line East passenger is traveling between New Haven and New London. CTrail Shore Line East customers with UniRail tickets for travel on these trains will need to make RideReserve confirmations using the UniRail ticket number on Amtrak.com or the Amtrak app.
Terms and Conditions:
- Reservations are allowed as early as 14 days prior to departure or as late as scheduled departure through Amtrak.com or the Amtrak App
- For all CTrail Shore Line East monthly and ten-ride ticket holders, reservations are required prior to boarding a reserved train. This applies to CTrail Shore Line East tickets and Metro-North UniRail tickets purchased by CTrail Shore Line East customers for travel between New Haven and New London.
- Amtrak Cross-Honoring is not available on sold-out trains
- Reserve through Amtrak.com or the Amtrak App
- If a passenger has CTrail Shore Line East tickets with connections in New Haven to other services, they will need to use RideReserve for the CTrail Shore Line East portion but not the other portions of the trips.
- Additional Program Details:
- Applies to existing CTrail Shore Line East ticket holders
- No changes to the SLE ticket document/ barcode for onboard scanning and/or punching
- Reservations may be canceled through Amtrak.com or the Amtrak App until actual departure with no penalty
- No impact to existing ticket cancelation rules
- Not applicable for PWD passengers or customers who want to upgrade or bring an add-on with them (pet, firearms, bicycle, etc.)
Senior Citizens, Persons with Disabilities, and Medicare Card Recipients
Reduced fares (50% off One-Way Tickets) are available to the following CTrail Shore Line East riders with proper ID:
- Seniors 65 and older
- Persons with disabilities 12 years and older
- Medicare cardholders
Please note that reduced fares are not accepted on board westbound (inbound) weekday morning Peak trains. Please refer to the schedule for Westbound Peak versus Off-Peak travel times. Reduced fare One-Way Tickets are available for purchase through the CTrail eTix app and onboard CTrail Shore Line East trains with cash only (with no additional surcharge), as well as at the following stations: New London, Old Saybrook, and New Haven Union Station. The reduced fare applies ONLY to the CTrail Shore Line East ticket. Those connecting with the New Haven Line must show their receipt or will face a surcharge.
Personal Care Attendants (PCAs – people employed to assist individuals with disabilities) are eligible to ride the commuter railroads free when accompanying a passenger with a disability. Where required, the PCA must carry identification that shows that he or she is employed by an agency that provides services to people with disabilities.
Proper identification is required to receive the reduced fare. This includes a driver’s license, Medicare card, Connecticut Senior/ Disabled Reduced Fare Transit ID Card, or MTA Reduced-Fare Metro-Card/People with Disabilities Identification Card. A birth certificate can be used, but only in conjunction with another form of identification.
Up to four children ages 11 and under may travel for free with a CTrail Shore Line East fare-paying adult on weekdays and weekends. Additional children will be charged the adult fare. CTrail Shore Line East “Child Fare Policy” does not apply to Amtrak Cross-Honoring options.
If you’re continuing your trip on a Metro-North New Haven Line train for up to four children ages 5-11 traveling with a paying adult, the fare is $1 each. Any additional children ages 5-11 will be charged half the adult fare. Children under 5 years of age travel free.
*CTrail Shore Line East does not offer a military discount.